Friday, September 14, 2012

Nice gun, but do the Navy Seals use it?


In every industry there are Michael Jordans who by endorsing a product or brand can increase sales significantly. In the firearm industry we see Chris Costa, Larry Vickers, Travis Haley, and Elite groups of the military like Navy Seals and Army Special Forces.
These guys can sell product because they carry credibility as they’ve been there and done that so to speak. Or maybe they are just the hot thing at the moment like Hansel in Zoolander. No disrespect meant to anyone with that comment. I simply mean some spokespeople are very popular for a short time and then fade away eventually.
People buy products they endorse for the same reason kids would buy Nike Air Jordans and Reebok Pumps when I was a kid.
“It will make me a better player/shooter/knitter if I’m using the same tools the pros use.”
Its like if you don’t have a cool well known military spokesperson, you can’t be taken seriously as a firearm or firearm related company. You need some sort of ex-SF guy to say you have good kit. Having these endorsements makes civilians feel like they are getting a piece of what the military actually uses and in turn a superior product to what civilians normally have access to. This is the mindset.
Take an AR-15 for example. You could get a Del-Ton, Rock River, BCM, or LaRue. Everyone of these has something on their website citing military or law enforcement. You could get the RRA Govt which is the “civilian version of the renowned RRA DEA Carbine!”
At the end of the day, I value the information that Andrew at Vuurwapenblog shares because it’s not tainted by endorsement money. I realize product endorsement is going to happen and I’m not against it. My point is it’s good to have some resources like this blog to find mostly objective research and information. I say “mostly” simply because Andrew occasionally shares his opinion which I also enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment