Monday, May 14, 2012

US Made Spyderco Tenacious

I may be a minority but I personally am very selective about what I carry in my pocket.  I'm somewhat of a minimalist and if it's riding close, I want it to be of high quality and carry it's weight in value.  What you carry in your pocket says a lot about you. Just like the clothes you wear and the car you drive. When it comes to a good folding knife, I refuse to carry one made in China.  Am I altogether against everything made in China?  No. How can anyone boycott all Chinese products?  You'd be naked and tech-less.  A lot of it depends on the quality control and the item being made.  Anyone familiar with some of the stuff that China has tried to pass onto us?   Or how about to their own people?
Do I believe certain things should be made in the USA?  Yes.  I prefer specific items like knives, watches, and guns to be held to a higher standard and produced in countries that have a long-standing history of manufacturing quality goods.  I love to buy domestic whenever possible for that extra amount of national pride it gives me.  Don't you agree?
Let's take a look at the super popular Spyderco Tenacious.  Great looking knife with a good grip and blade shape.  I know, I've held one.  What's not to like?  Made in China.  You may get a good one, but I've also heard of several getting  lemons.  Poor heat treat, steel rusts too quickly, female threads being stripped.  But it's only $34!!  Great, buy 20 of them.  In my book, some things shouldn't be cheap.  Or look at CRKT.  Cool looking knives for sure.  I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet though.  Made in Taiwan.  I'd expect that if I were buying it from the gumball dispenser at the grocery store.  Not when I'm putting down serious money for an important tool. 
I'm fine if they want to cater to the cheap at all costs including quality and national pride audience, but I would prefer that they give me the option to buy the same knife made in either Seki City, Japan or Boulder, Colorado.
I'll pay double or even triple the current cost to know that my knife was held to a higher standard. It is after all riding in my front pocket and I will expect it to perform 100%.  I like seeing where it was made every time it comes out of my pocket.  I like owning things that I know I'll be able to pass onto my kids and possibly grandkids.  I doubt anyone will celebrate receiving grandpa's $30 Chinese knife he got because it was so inexpensive.  So how about it Spyderco and CRKT?

No comments:

Post a Comment